- tutor, Anastasia Pollard
- Online with Zoom
- February 22nd, March 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd
- 2.00pm – 4.00pm
- £160/ course, includes model fees
- A recording of the lesson will be sent to you after the class. You will have access to this for two weeks.
- The course is taught using oil paints
- You will be sent a zoom code that will be used throughout the course
Suitable for intermediate students. Some experience of oil painting, and drawing essential
What to expect on this course
This course will follow traditional portrait practise. This places great importance on drawing, tonal work, colour mixing and an emphasis on form.
You will start with sketches in charcoal and then drawing using paint. Under Anastasia’s guidance students will concentrate on tonal painting allowing the emphasis to be on the form. You will aim to get a likeness. Next, you move on to blocking in a painting, and developing a “first pass” tonally.
During the course there will be an in-depth look at colour mixing. You will build up the colour layer, working on your colour mixing, and moving towards finishing a painting.
- Titanium white
- Cadmium lemon
- Yellow ochre or Raw sienna
- Cadmium red
- Alizarin crimson
- Ultramarine blue
- Olive Green
- Raw umber
- Burnt umber
- Ivory black
- Brushes: assorted sizes of filberts and flats. AP particularly likes the Pro-arte Sterling white synthetic brushes and the Monarch brushes.
- An off-set palette knife.
- Any canvas size as long as it does not exceed 24″ x20″ due to space constraints.
- Only odorless spirits, Sansodor or Zest it.
- Winsor & Newton painting medium.
Please have materials ready before the class starts including drawing materials including charcoal and large cartridge paper. If you have access to an easel you might find the class easier.
Please bring a sketchbook for note taking and optional homework suggestions
For more information about Anastasia Pollard